Thursday, February 10, 2011

Helmets, NG tubes and MRI's oh my

Yesterday was a busy day. We had a cardiologist appointment for Lucy and a neuro-surgery appointment for Hazel. At Lucy's appointment we learned that her oxygen saturation levels were really good at 88%. They'll probably do surgery when her levels drop into the 70s. As she outgrows her shunt her ox sats will drop. We also learned that she still isn't growing enough despite increasing her calories in her formula. Lucy is going to be admitted to the hospital on Friday so they can start her on a NG tube and teach us how to do it. Lucy might also need an MRI while we are there. After Lucy's last surgery she was put on ECMO for a short time. Because she was taken off so quickly no one did the usual testing that is done after coming off ECMO. They are starting to think now that maybe they should take an MRI to make sure things are looking okay. If they do this she'll have to be sedated and intubated. I'm not really feeling up for any of this.

Hazel's appointment went great. Her head looked great. I think these appointments with neuro are more for their benefit than for our. They like to take lots of pictures and document her progress. Today we're going in for another helmet fitting. This will be her 3rd helmet! I can hardly believe how fast time is going.

4 comments:

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you guys have to go through this. Let's hope that all goes well and she doesn't have to be there long! You guys are always in my prayers.

Sandra and Dave said...

It sounds from FB that Lucy has been in the hospital longer than expected. I hope things are stable. You are now and forever will be my heros.

Christin Foscarini said...

wow! so much on your plate! I hope lucy does well and keeps progressing. So glad to hear that hazel is doing so well :)

Macie said...

I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. I don't know how you do it with two babies. We had to do the MRI thing last week. Not fun. I hate ventilators. Good luck. We're praying for you!