There is a lot of Lucy news that needs updating. After Lucy's cath that was done 9 days ago they learned that Lucy's diaphragm had been injured and would require another surgery to repair it. Everyone told us that doing the surgery would likely help her to breathe better on her own. It was actually a relief to hear that something could be done to fix it. Also, I may have mentioned this in the previous post, a cardiologist told us he strongly recommended us sending her information to other surgeons. We've had a lot of issues with Lucy's surgeon. He's new to this hospital and his communication with us and her attending physicians has been horrible. On Monday we complained to the attending that he hadn't come to see us after almost one week of knowing there had been a surgical complication. The guy ended up calling me and we had a yelling match over the phone. He ended up hanging up the phone on me. Cool guy. Chuck and I met with him the next morning. There was also another doctor, a nurse practitioner and 2 nurses in the room. I was grateful. There was a little more yelling, just on my end. He told us he didn't think fixing the diaphragm would do any good and he didn't think doing another open heart would be worthwhile but then he proceeded to tell us when he'd operate. You know, this guy might be right, doing more surgery might not do any good but don't tell me you're going to operate when you think it's a bad idea. He then told us if we wanted to send her records to someone else, he would just move her right away. We were shocked. What a responsible guy. Let's move her to Stanford while she's still sick. He told us to think about it and then he left.
First of all, if they do do another open heart surgery it probably wouldn't be for months. Did this guy really think we'd want to go wait in Cali for months. We have made plans to have Lucy's records transferred. They will have a meeting on Wednesday to decide what the best plan for her is. We have switched surgeons here at Primary. We really like him. We asked him if he'd feel comfortable doing Lucy's open heart surgery. He told us if it were his child he'd send her to Stanford. So there you go. I think what we'd really like is to have her diaphragm fixed here and then hopefully go home for awhile. Then once she's ready, go to Stanford. I have a feeling things won't work out hat way. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad