We were supposed to move to Detroit in August. Chuck's school made an exception for us and gave us until October. I don't see how we could move in the next year. It's strange because we finally felt good about moving, and now we might not. We're praying everything falls into place where it needs to. We have felt so much love and support from our family and friends. There is nothing else in the world quite like it. Chuck and I have felt so much peace. I know this experience has definitely strengthened our faith. I know our Heavenly Father is aware of our little family and He's looking out for us.
Monday, May 3, 2010
Chuck and I went to the pediatric cardiologist today. It was a difficult appointment. We sat in silence for an hour and a half while the doctor performed the fetal echocardiogram. This is basically done just like a normal ultrasound. Chuck tried to ask questions but the doctor said he'd rather explain things later. That was our first clue it wasn't going well. He looked at both babies but Lucy took about twice as long. That was our next clue. The doctor was very nice and explained to me the anatomy of a normal heart and then explained what was wrong with Lucy's heart. She basically has 4 things that are going wrong and they call it Tetralogy of Fallot. This was what we were thinking was wrong. After our appointment on Monday Chuck said that this is what he thought the doctor's were talking about. It was a huge comfort to already know a little about what we were dealing with. I'm so glad Chuck was perceptive enough to know what the doctor was talking about because all I understood was..."might be something wrong with Baby A's heart..." The doctor then explained the process for correcting this. Right after birth she will be given a drug through an IV that will help things temporarily. Then, because she has a severe case, she will be moved to Children's Mercy to have her first surgery. This part scares me a little. I didn't expect her first surgery to be so soon, they typically can wait several months until they're bigger. Depending on how she does with that surgery she will have a second surgery probably between 6-12 months after she is born.