Monday, May 3, 2010

The Results

Chuck and I went to the pediatric cardiologist today. It was a difficult appointment. We sat in silence for an hour and a half while the doctor performed the fetal echocardiogram. This is basically done just like a normal ultrasound. Chuck tried to ask questions but the doctor said he'd rather explain things later. That was our first clue it wasn't going well. He looked at both babies but Lucy took about twice as long. That was our next clue. The doctor was very nice and explained to me the anatomy of a normal heart and then explained what was wrong with Lucy's heart. She basically has 4 things that are going wrong and they call it Tetralogy of Fallot. This was what we were thinking was wrong. After our appointment on Monday Chuck said that this is what he thought the doctor's were talking about. It was a huge comfort to already know a little about what we were dealing with. I'm so glad Chuck was perceptive enough to know what the doctor was talking about because all I understood was..."might be something wrong with Baby A's heart..." The doctor then explained the process for correcting this. Right after birth she will be given a drug through an IV that will help things temporarily. Then, because she has a severe case, she will be moved to Children's Mercy to have her first surgery. This part scares me a little. I didn't expect her first surgery to be so soon, they typically can wait several months until they're bigger. Depending on how she does with that surgery she will have a second surgery probably between 6-12 months after she is born.
We were supposed to move to Detroit in August. Chuck's school made an exception for us and gave us until October. I don't see how we could move in the next year. It's strange because we finally felt good about moving, and now we might not. We're praying everything falls into place where it needs to. We have felt so much love and support from our family and friends. There is nothing else in the world quite like it. Chuck and I have felt so much peace. I know this experience has definitely strengthened our faith. I know our Heavenly Father is aware of our little family and He's looking out for us.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your comments Eliza. We are praying for you. Love you all. Mom.

Anna said...

I'm thinking of your family Eliza and Chuck. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but you both are very strong and Lucy and Hazel are lucky to have you as parents! My prayers are with you.

Debbie Feller said...

Eliza I was so sorry to hear that Lucy has some heart problems, today from Christin!!! You will all be in our thoughts & prayers!!! All our best!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww cousin...

You are in my prayers...all of you.

Your words were inspiring...thank you.

Hang in there.

Christin Foscarini said...

Eliza you are amazing! Your little family has been in my prayers. I'm so proud of how you are handling this. Love ya!

Carlie said...

I can't stop crying, wishing you were closer to give you a great big hug! I love you and your family and I can't wait to meet these 2 new special additions. You are sounding so faithful. The Lord is blessing you with strength and faith through this. I'm proud of you girl. Love you.

Katie said...

I wish I could be closer to help you, and like Carlie, give you a big hug. You and Chuck are amazing. You and the babies (Lucy especially) are in my prayers every day. It is so comforting when you feel specifically that Heavenly Father is looking out for you. I'm glad you've been given that. I love you so much. Stay strong.

Bri said...

Peace is such an incredible blessing. I'm glad you guys are feeling that. Your faith is such a great example. Your growing family is in my prayers!

Quela said...

Hope all goes well, we'll be praying for ya! Love you guys!