Friday, October 1, 2010

Hazel's Surgery and Lucy's Too

This has been a crazy week. We had 5 doctor's appointments. Hazel had post-op appointments on Wed and Lucy had pre-op appointments today. On Tuesday Lucy will be having her 2nd cardiac cath which will require her to spend a night in the hospital. From the cath they may put in a stent or they will tell us she needs open heart surgery where they will put in a shunt. That would be the same surgery she was supposed to have when she was first born but we were able to avoid.
I've put in some pictures from Hazel's surgery. They're all out of order so you'll just have to ignore that.

Doesn't she look sad.
Hazel had 2 incisions. Bone was cut the width of the incisions from one scar to the other (so her head feel pretty mushy right now).
Hazel's head before the surgery.
Hazel in the hospital cafeteria with her new helmet. I hate the helmet. Hazel hates the helmet. But we are doing better with it every day. I think it will be better when she has better head control.
Those family pictures were taken by a friend the day before Hazel's surgery. I'm really glad we did it. I almost didn't have them done because I had a really bad headache that day, our house had flooded the night before and I hadn't found any time to shower. I kept thinking about how crazy things would be after her surgery so I gave in and I'm glad we did. I have really great friends out here that I am really grateful for.

2 comments:

LeeAnne said...

Wow, it's amazing how much her head has changed already. I feel bad that she has to wear the helmet. It will be worth it though. Let me know if you need any help on Tuesday. I hope all goes well with Lucy. I still have you in my prayers.

Carlie said...

Good luck tomorrow you guys. We love you and will be fasting and praying for Lucy and you.